Getting back to work after a career break
Whether you’ve been away from the workplace for 6 months or 6 years we understand that stepping back into the working world can be a little daunting for mums. Check out a few tips from the Women@Work team on how to prepare yourself to get back to work after a career break.
How will it work for you?
Firstly, question your decision to go back to work to make sure you are 100% on board with the choice?
- Why do you want to go back to work?
- What kind of hours am I able to work?
- What type of role do you want to work in? Remember you could be different from pre-family life
- What sort of support do you have from your husband, family and friends?
- Do you have the right childcare in place and are you super comfortable with it?
- How will I manage everything at home whilst balancing work?
- Do I have any skills gaps that need addressing before returning to work?
What do you have to offer?
If you are returning to work after a long break it is important for employers to know you are sure about your decision and can show them your commitment to a role. Your attitude will take you a long way in being successful in returning to the workplace:
- Be enthusiastic! Yes you have taken a break but this has made you all the more eager to take on a new challenge
- Communicate your skills – Taking a career break doesn’t put your personal development on hold, think of those excellent prioritisation and organisation skills you now have, not to mention multi-tasking
- Practice your pitch – Employers love confidence. Take time to prepare and run through your interview with friends and family, or even in front of the mirror, might seem a little strange, but it really helps
- Re-connect with your professional self – Remind yourself of how great you are, try to meet with former colleagues and get your head back into the work mode
- Show your commitment
Go for it!
- Drop us an email with your CV and we will help with any questions and help you apply for the role to best suit you
- Enjoy the interview – Try to relax and enjoy the interview. We know it’s going to be a little daunting, but remember you have done this before and you can do it again – I mean you manage your children and we all know that isn’t easy!
- Make sure it’s the right role for you and your family – it can be tempting to rush back into work once you have decided to take the plunge, however, make sure you are 100% certain it’s the right role and then congratulate yourself – you are back to work!